Friday, March 28, 2008

Economy :(

This economic slump really stinks!! Besides the high gas prices (I choke everytime I have to go fill up my tank) and housing prices diving down (which really sucks since we just bought our house last March and it's value has probably went 10-15% down in a year), my company just announced that they are "freezing", ie., not giving, merit increases this year. I guess that is what happens when most of our customer base is banks and mortgage companies. They aren't doing well, which directly impacts us. FIS has been good to me over the past 4 years, so I can't complain. I feel worse for our lower level staff, it probably hurts them the most not to get that.

So, I will continue to hope for the best that things will start to turn around for our economy. (maybe this will help people actually learn to live within their means and actually budget out their finances. ) It's sad but I actually really enjoy doing our finances. I guess I'm an accountant through and through. I'm such a nerd, I didn't like quicken, so I created all my own spreadsheets to track stuff. (of course, that was before Ashlyn, and I had more time on my hands). I probably won't be creating any new ways to budget for awhile.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Sorry this has been having such a direct affect on your company. It hasn't hit us yet, but it will definitely catch up.
And I'm a nerd too I guess- though I knew that. I love doing our finances and created my own spreadsheet too. ;) I tried using something else a while back... Microsoft Money?, but it just didn't make sense to me like Excel does. I guess you use what works!!